What are the things you can be grateful for today?
Think about it and write it down.
It’s easy to get carried away and think that life sucks, but so often we only look at the things we don’t have, rather than be grateful for the things we do have.
“We often take for granted the very things that most deserve our gratitude.” – Cynthia Ozick
In this article, we will look at the 50 things to be grateful for in life. You may not resonate with all of the 50 things below and that’s fine. Just pick those that relate most with you, be grateful, and you will feel much happier and satisfied with your life.
No matter how bad your day is right now, there will always be things to be grateful for. The simplest and most effective way to turn a bad day into a positive day is by turning your focus towards expressing gratitude instead of lamenting how terrible the day is.
Top 50 Things to Be Grateful For:
1. You woke up this morning. Not everyone who goes to bed at night will definitely wake up the next morning. Unfortunately, there are people who passed away in their sleep. Smile when you wake up each morning as you have been given a gift called LIFE.
2. Good health. Being healthy enables you to have the freedom to do what you want to do for the day. Without health, you can’t do anything. To maintain good health, eat a balanced diet (with the occasional cheat meal), exercise 3-4 times a week, and get 8 hours of sleep every day. Be consistent and appreciate your good health.
The Human Anatomy and Physiology
3. Active Mind. For helping us to think wisely and come up with ideas to add value to the world. Every one of us has our own unique mind with different thoughts and perspectives.
4. Eyes. Enable us to travel and see the beautiful world, our loved ones, and move around easily. And being able to read articles in Deep Oyster!
5. Ears. To hear the voice of your loved ones, the sounds of nature, music, and movies.
6. Mouth and Tongue. Being able to taste sweet, bitter, salty, spicy, sour foods and enjoy meals in all parts of the world.
7. Voice. Enable us to share our opinions and thoughts to the world.
8. Hands. To help us carry, feel things and hug family members.
9. Legs. To help us walk, run, exercise, drive a car, and provides the body with stability.
10. Laughter. For bringing joy and happiness to life.
11. Tears. For helping us to express our deepest emotions and release all the tensions within our soul. Tears are more than words, it expresses how we truly feel, regardless whether it is tears of joy or sadness. Tears make us humans raw and real…
12. A job. For giving you an income to pay bills, eat good food, and splash occasionally on the luxuries. If you have excess money in your bank, you are already richer than most people who are working day and night to clear off their debts.
13. Compatible co-workers. Most people work a 9-5 job, which takes up a huge portion of their time. Having compatible co-workers will make work more fun and bearable.
14. Fierce rivals. You also need to thank your fierce rivals for keeping you on your toes to continuously improve and be better at your craft. At the end of the day, you will push each other to the limits, improve, and get to the next level faster.
Love and Relationships
15. True Love. When you have found true love, you will know what it truly means to be alive.
16. Heartbreaks. Helps to you to become wiser and ensure you know what you want and don’t want in the next relationship.
17. Family. For being your closest bond and supporting you through your highs and lows. Family is all that matters at the end of the day. Spend time with your family members, even on the weekdays.
18. Parents. For bringing you to this beautiful world. If your parents are still around, don’t take them for granted, spend time with them and help to reduce their burden as much as possible. As you grow older, so does your parents. Appreciate them while they are still around.
19. Siblings. For making childhood fun and having a trusted person to speak to.
20. Kids. Seeing your kids play, smile, and grow day by day.
21. Close friendships. Having a group of close friends to stick with you through thick and thin, and being there when you need them. If you can call a friend at 2 am, consider yourself very lucky to have a true buddy.
Life’s Little Pleasures
22. Waking up before the alarm rings. The extra time is so precious. You get to roll on the bed longer!
23. Home. Having a shelter and roof over your head to keep you warm when it’s cold outside.
24. Clean water. Having access to clean water and being able to drink without fearing if the water is dirty. Besides drinking, you have hot water to take a comfortable warm bath. There are places where people don’t even have access to running water. Can you imagine that?!
25. Food. Able to eat delicious foods and not worry about the next meal. You do not need to be afraid of starving unlike the people in some third world countries, where the next meal is always an uncertainty.
26. A comfortable bed. To help us fall asleep soundly and have a good night rest.
27. Early mornings and late nights. The peace and silence of early mornings and late nights where you have the quiet time all to yourself.
28. The beauty and Serenity of Nature. If you are having a bad day, take a break and go for a walk in a place greater than you. Nature! Notice how much more relax and lighter you feel after immersing in the calm surroundings of nature.
29. Kindness from strangers. Everyone has been helped by a stranger before, it could be receiving a small change to insert coins for parking or another pair of hands to help carry things. It is these acts of kindness which make us believe in humanity.
30. Travel to places outside of your country. Being able to travel to other parts of the world and experience different cultures.
31. No World War 3. After the tragic events of World War 1 and World War 2, we are living in an era free from war. Unlike our grandparents or great grandparents, we don’t have to live in fear every day and we have the freedom to move around.
32. Modern Transport. For taking you from point A to point B faster. Can you imagine what it would be like if we don’t have cars or planes?
33. Music. To be able to sing out loud and have the “music high.”
34. Movies and TV Series. For providing a source of entertainment.
35. FREEE. When you get something free and valuable every now and then.
Technology and Apps
36. The Internet. For connecting devices worldwide. Without the Internet, there will be no Google, YouTube, and Facebook. Here’s a fun fact, the Internet has only been around for 25 years!
37. Mobile phones. For enabling us to easily contact people and consume information. I recently watched a TV series where the people from the 1500s era time traveled and came into the modern world in 2017, and they were amazed by the ability of phones to communicate to anyone no matter where they are. In the olden days, people will have to use letters or even pigeons to send messages and need to wait for days or weeks to get back the replies.
38. Facebook. For connecting billions of people all over the world.
39. Google. For giving us the opportunity to easily access useful information. There are no longer excuses to “I don’t know.”
40. Airbnb. For giving us affordable and cozy accommodations while traveling.
41. Waze. For helping us to drive from Point A to Point B without getting lost.
42. Tinder. For giving us the opportunity to meet interesting people.
Knowledge and Wisdom
43. Education. Being able to go to university to learn a skill and acquire knowledge that no one can take away from you.
44. Teachers. For equipping you with the knowledge and being like a second father or mother to you.
45. Ability to read. Being able to read and absorb the wisdom of others through books.
46. Achievements. Be proud of your past achievements and for having the opportunity to achieve those things, whether it is individually or as a team.
47. Life challenges. Obstacles are there to help you succeed. Without obstacles, you will not be able to progress in your journey and become stronger and wiser. See challenges in your life as a bridge to help get you from you are now to where you want to be in the future.
48. Mistakes. Mistakes are expected, embrace them. Keep making mistakes to keep growing. If you are making mistakes, you are continuously learning. And life is all about learning!
49. Being born into this world. The chances of you being born and winning the race to come to this world 1 in 400 trillion. Just take a second and realize the odds of you never existing at all! Realize how lucky you are to be breathing now and experience the highs and lows of what life has to offer. We come into this world by chance, but we will definitely leave the world one day. So the next time you are down, just think about this and don’t take life too seriously.
50. You are ALIVE now. Life is unpredictable. While you are alive, be authentic and be your true self in a world of 7 billion people. Appreciate every day you have and live life to the fullest. Do it for yourself. You owe it to yourself. You are ALIVE!
Keep a Gratitude Journal
Besides the 50 gratitude mentioned above, you can also keep a gratitude journal in your mobile phone notes or an excel file.
Every day, record something good that happens to you. Keep a gratitude journal throughout the year, and by the end of each year, you would have accumulated so many things to be grateful for in life.
When you have bad days, just look at your gratitude journal and your mood will change, as sometimes we do fuss over the small things that don’t matter.
Don’t take things in life for granted. Every one of us is blessed and lucky in our own way.
We are so lucky to be even born to this world, we are living and breathing now, this in itself is already something we can be grateful for. You have won the most important race to be born into the world, now go out there and enjoy it.
No one knows what will happen tomorrow. Life is magical yet unpredictable.
So start being grateful today!
Over to you
Let me know in the comments below your thoughts on being grateful? Any other things you are grateful are for in life?
If you like this article, kindly subscribe below to receive future updates on the latest blog post.